Saturday, February 19, 2011

Tim O'Brien Blog Response

The first chapter of The Things They Carried lived up to the title, with there being an often mentioning of the things they carried: love, hate, romantic intent, memories, food, guns, ammunition, all sorts of stuff--you name it, more or less.

A couple of questions: What’s with all they “grunts” whom had some kind of substance (drug) end up dead? One was shot in the head. Oh, and... Does anyone else think, maybe, this metaphor (or whatever you’d call it) of “the things they carried” going to really get old by the end of the book? I’m getting tired of it after just the first chapter.

Okay... the meaning of the first chapter is: The things you carry can be heavy, they can weight heavily on you; no matter where you go you keep with you all the makes you the person you are: memories, experience, sometimes the closes you wear... Life has its burdens. Life itself can be a burden, but I don’t think that’s quite what the author was getting at. Or was he? I think, maybe.

Reading this first chapter made me want to stick pixie-sticks in my eyes and swirl when around, scrambling my brains. I can’t wait for the next chapter!

Tim O'Brien
 
 
"In 2005 The Things They Carried was named by The New York Times as one of the 20 best books of the last quarter century." --from the website listed above.

No comments:

Post a Comment